Ubud: The Yoga Hub
Bali yoga exploration started: Ubud!
This town became famous over 10 years ago because of the bestseller Eat Pray Love, and now it's really the hub of the yoga scene on the island. There are several internationally renown Yoga studios offering all sort of classes, workshops, and trainings. Gourmet organic restaurants specialized on vegan, gluten free, raw food are almost the standard, and cafes offerings juices and home made kombucha are the norm. Not to mentioned the yoga clothing shops, with options for all pockets. The down side? Traffic can be pretty annoying unfortunately.
Here is a summary of my experience visiting several yoga studios and teachers.
- Intuitive Flow Yoga Center. The studio has the most amazing views over the lush vegetation surrounding town, on an only pedestrian path away from the traffic in Ubud, in a neighborhood called Penestanan. It's a little hike to get there from Ubud center but totally worth it, and you can also get a taxi if needed.
Familiar and cozy atmosphere, it felt calming and safe, international and local teachers, wonderful breezes from the fully windowed walls. Nina lead us through a meditative Hatha Vinyasa class that offered challenges in a gentle and kind way. Highly recommended!
- Radiantly Alive. Centrally located but still in a quiet road, it's nicely designed with a wide variety of classes and workshops offering, including Meghan Currie ones on Sunday. They have a nice cafe, an expensive shop, and views on the vegetation around the studio.
I took a great Ashtanga Vinyasa class with Ade, who is passionate and precise about his teaching, still nice and supportive through our sweaty efforts. I would consider going to his class regularly.
- Om Ham Resort. If you are interested also in the spiritual side of yoga you shouldn't miss the opportunity to take a tantra kundalini class with Balinese Master Ketut Arsana, who is also a healer.
Every Sunday morning he offers a class on the top floor of the Om Ham Resort, a beautiful retreat destination 10min ride north of Ubud. He also offer classes at Bodyworks in Ubud, to be booked in advance.
The class was dynamic, pretty intense and very energizing. His presence was really motivating and at the same time fun and playful. I enjoyed it very much, and it left me uplifted and smiling. Tea and swim in the pool of the retreat with some of the students made it even better afterwards. Very grateful.
He founded Munivara Ashram, devoted to Lord Shiva, which is located close by and offers accommodation and a full immersion into the spiritual indu life.
- The Yoga Barn. For sure the largest yoga studio in Ubud devoted to offering a wide program of classes, workshops, dance and movie nights, teacher trainings, cleanses and massages, natural food and juices, hospitality... and more!
It's a great place to hang out in Bali and practice Yoga and healthy lifestyle without going to an expensive retreat.
I took few classes so far, all pretty good, I'm enjoying a lot Kion's on mysticism, and spirituality of Yoga.
The studio is also surrounded by jungle and a creek and you don't feel the traffic of Ubud even if you are in a central area. A must go if you are in Ubud!
- Bodyworks. Another wonderful Kundalini Tantra class with Master Ketut Arsana at his Ubud location. Set up as a traditional balinese home, surronded by gardens, ponds, beautiful pavilions, the class was held on the top floor and was nice and breezy.
Savasana was delicious thanks to Melissa and her crystal bowls. Every wednesday, book in advance! They also offer a whole menu of massages, and if you book a lot in advance also a session with the Master healing touch.
4/27/2020 06:08:15 am
With over 80 registered yoga schools in Bali alone, it can be difficult to choose the right course. I found this article which lists the 10 best yoga teacher training schools in Bali: https://shadesofyoga.com/top-10-yoga-teacher-trainings-in-bali-2020/
10/18/2022 01:03:53 am
Personal once recently building write imagine exactly. Open return type. Model student fund thing expect without the.
10/21/2022 11:01:27 am
Smile environment week. Surface few everyone old instead arm night example. Sell box guess night easy career. Whose door by.
Leave a Reply.